Thursday 28 May 2015

De Laurentiis: I'll get Benitez a good contract for Real Madrid!

The Spanish coach is set to take charge at the
Santiago Bernabeu and the film producer has
jokingly offered to represent him.
Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has jokingly
offered to negotiate with Real Madrid on Rafael
Benitez's behalf.
Benitez announced on Thursday that he will be
standing down as Partenopei boss after the final
round of the Serie A season on Sunday, and the
Spaniard is expected to replace the sacked Carlo
Ancelotti at the Santiago Bernabeu.
De Laurentiis refused to confirm that Benitez is
bound for Madrid but he did offer to represent his
outgoing coach in any potential contract talks.
"Would I recommend Benitez to Florentino Perez?
I would recommend him to every club president
but Perez doesn't need my advice," the Napoli
supremo told reporters at a press conference.
"But if Rafa does join Madrid, it will be a
confirmation that my choice of coach two years
ago was the right one. I hope Florentino gives
Rafa a good contract. I could help Rafa with that
if he wants! It would be a good contract for sure!"
De Laurentiis had hoped to persuade Benitez, who
led Napoli to Coppa Italia glory last year before
lifting the Supercoppa Italiana this season, to
spend another season at the San Paolo.
However, the film producer insisted that he is not
in the least bit upset by the 55-year-old's
decision to depart.
"I thank Rafa Benitez for his work over the past
two years," De Laurentiis added. "He won me over
immediately in London two years ago and he has
since vindicated that positive impression. I had
already understood that this would be his final
season with us because he had wanted to be
closer to his family. His contract was for two
years with the option of a third but he gave me a
reason for this so I wish him good luck.
"Two years ago we were 46th in the UEFA club
rankings but now we're 20th, ahead of many big
teams. In the last two years we have been the
only Italian team other than Juve to have won
titles, lifting two trophies thanks to Rafa. Next
season we will be the only Italian team to have
competed in UEFA competition for the sixth
successive year. We are strong, healthy and in
good shape. I'm very happy to have had Rafa. He
has grown the culture of this club."

No comments:

Post a Comment